Friday, August 3, 2007

Slight Change of Plan

Well, yesterday's lunch of tortilla "pizzas" was so good, I just had to make them for supper, too! My intention was to take a picture but before I knew it, they just vanished! Not only did this happen at lunch time, but at dinner time too, so you will have imagine what these tortillas looked like in all their crispy goodness! For 6 1/2 points for two, from start to finish, they can't be beat!

I am not a great fan of tomato sauce, so I used a teaspoon of pesto as a base on each tortilla. Before serving, I added a very light dusting of Parmesan and some red pepper flakes while they were hot out of the oven. "Real" pizza is just not worth all the points for one piece when these are so much easier on the digestive tract! Next time I am going to try this with spinach and feta. Can't wait!

We had strawberries dipped in Splenda for dessert - I needed a "sweet fix". I was amazed that the Splenda tasted sooooooooooo good! I am now officially a convert. If you can eat the stuff on a strawberry, and it tastes great? What else can you do with this miracle of modern science? Dare we bake????

The menu for today is very simple:

Morning

All Bran and milk with my new friend, Splenda.

Midday


Top Dogs and Wonder Bun for lunch. I never ate hot dogs before WW but now? This treat is my new summertime favourite! I use two hot dogs in one bun, just to make sure I am not stuck with an empty bun for my last bite! Slathered with mustard, relish and onions? Mystery meat at its finest! Sauerkraut salad on the side. I have been making this for years, and it is always a big hit. If you like marinated salads, I think you just may like this! Turns out that it is a freebie, too! No points! If you were running short of points, I think you could lose the bun, and make a good lunch of just the hot dogs and sauerkraut salad. It would be pretty tasty for four points, wouldn't you say?


Sauerkraut Salad
2 cups sauerkraut, well-drained
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup Sugar Twin (Splenda!)
2 tbs. chili sauce
1 tsp. dried parsley flakes


In a large bowl combine sauerkraut, green pepper, onion and celery. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, Sugar Twin, chili sauce, and parsley flakes. Add vinegar mixture to sauerkraut mixture. Mix well to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour. Gently stir again, just before serving.



Evening


Stuffed zucchini with tomato sauce, with a tossed Greek salad. Since I used the sausage on the tortillas yesterday, I will just use the leftover pork tenderloin in the stuffing. Maybe add some mushrooms, celery and onions into to the mix, too. There are so many "freebies" that you can use to really plump out a menu! And, since I am making a mess chopping for the salad, I may as well prep the veggies for the zucchini at the same time.

Snacks



V8, fresh apricots, nectarines, grapes, Susie's Flat Bread with Laughing Cow Cheese.

No comments: