Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Making peace with the pantry...

First order of the day was an emergency run to Safeway to get a few things. We had very special friends visiting for lunch today. I picked up some Breyers Double Churned Fat-Free Ice Vanilla Cream. Wow. At ninety calories for half a cup, it packs a real flavour punch, and is soooooooooo creamy! How do they do that? Since my usual serving of ice cream is 1/4 of a cup, it made the list for great one point treats. ( I am not a saint ...ice cream gives me brain freezes if I eat it in any larger quantities!) Imagine that. Dessert. At lunch time! And I did not only have ice cream, if you please. I had an orange blossom cookie too!

For starters we had tomato wedges with hot Kalamata olives, sprinkled with grated Peccorino Romano cheese and Garlic and Herb Mrs. Dash, then drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for bread dipping. Next, served with sliced Parisian French bread, was a simple iceberg lettuce, orange, and onion salad with a sweet onion dressing. Our main course was bow tie pasta with large shrimp, dressed with garlic, butter and basil pesto. Sounds decadent, doesn't it? But the reality is that most of the "sauce" is liquid from the shrimp! For dessert we had ice cream and orange blossom cookies. If I hadn't recorded and measured every single ingredient and weighed out the bread myself, I would have never believed you could eat like this on a weight loss program! Will I ever get to the point where I take eating like this for granted? I now get really resentful when I go to a restaurant and see what my points will "buy", compared to the goodies I concoct at home, that is for sure! I am starting to view food prep not as a dreaded necessary evil, but as a really enjoyable process. Am I making peace with the pantry?

No comments: