Friday, February 29, 2008

Home Sweet Home

I still haven't unpacked all the goodies I bought in Omaha, but I only have one suitcase and a living room floor to deal with....and the business on the kitchen island will be dealt with while waiting for the kettle to boil, or the toast to pop tomorrow morning! Rick was thrilled to find a container for his precious honey...we buy it in the humungous size from Costco, and now he can decant a small amount for his morning toast. Simple things make us happiest.

The bad news is, that I have gained so much weight from this trip. Try as you may, it is difficult when you are away from your own kitchen. So, today is a new beginning. I rejoined WW Online, and am officially back in the saddle. Having the program calculate the food choices I make is so much easier than figuring it out myself. If you go through Great Canadian Rebates, you get a good percentage back from your fees. Since I was rejoining, it was only sixty dollars for three months. I need the "planning" part and it is so easy with the program. I am hoping the majority of the gained poundage will disappear due to water retention. I was eating soup a lot and at one restaurant, I actually felt the liquid burning my throat...not from heat, but from the salt. I am so glad to be back to my little kosher salt pot!

While we were away, I developed a real taste for blue cheese. I was surrounded by it when I was growing up, and never indulged, but lately? It just tastes so good to me in a salad. Speaking of which, I have been buying bagged salad, and does that ever make mealtime easy. Crack the bag and broil some protein and dinner is done. Tonight we had a grilled pork chop with a side salad, and it was delish.

Now, back to the shopping. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and spoiled myself rotten with good shoes and boots. When you find a sale, buy it all! I also did a fair amount of clothes shopping. It was a little easier than before, and I found clothes that I will actually wear....pants, long sweaters...that sort of thing. I even broke down and bought a couple of velour track suits, even though they did remind me of the early seventies, I was cold, they were there, and I fell in love. The nice thing is that they have a modern waist that rides a bit lower, and they are very comfy... there is something about a hoody that just feels so cozy...sort of a built in scarf that is so necessary in our frigid climate.

So there you have it. My life in a nutshell.

No comments: