Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Don't hate me because I am butterfull....


That is what my soup told me at the stove today. Not just any soup, mind you. Home made, wonderful creamy soup. As I wondered why people would bother to buy soup when it is so easy to make, I took particular note of what went into the pot to make 3 cups of soup...

3 carrot sticks - tiny dice (I keep veggies cut up in the frig, ready to go)
3 small florets of broccoli - I sliced the stem part finely to match the carrots, divided the florets into tiny pieces to be added at the last minute
1 Tablespoon of dried onion pieces
good sprinkling of dried parsley
1 teaspoon of bouillon powder
1/2 cup of water mixed with 1 tsp of flour
2 1/2 cups of organic low sodium chicken stock

Now, to here is how there came to be a creamy buttery nummyness to the soups. I sauteed the carrots in a teaspoon of butter (measured exactly, I may add) to soften. Then added the broth, bouillon powder, dried onion, parsley and flour/water mixture. I added the tiny bits of broccoli a minute or so before serving and then to finish the soup? I added 4 1/2 Tablespoons of half and half cream. That gave a grand total of 11/2 Tablespoons per cup of soup which is a whopping 30 calories. Add 1/3 of the 45 calories for the teaspoon of butter, and you have 45 calories for one cup of soup. And was it good! A 'regular' person wouldn't think twice about putting a bit of cream into something, but being a food Nazi? It has been strictly forbidden for me. Well, folks. Not any more. Do the math. I just had a wonderfully decadent lunch for MAYBE what, 60 calories total? Not a zero point soup, but one point for the extra flavour? Well worth it in my books. I feel wonderfully well fed and satisfied. Those tasteless dry "100 calorie" snacks don't do it for me, but soup? Now that is something to write about!

No comments: