Friday, February 20, 2009

Life with a menu plan

is just so much easier! I wandered into the kitchen at lunch time today, wondering what I was hungry for, and POUF! Right there on the frig was the posted answer to my ever present question "What am I going to eat?" . A Boursin and cucumber sandwich on high fibre flax bread was planned, and was I ever happy to follow the plan today! Quick and easy, and ohhhh my. How good was that sandwich!

I managed to stick to my schedule and do the shopping yesterday...it was very easy as there wasn't a lot on the list-again, due to the menu planning. I was done in only fifteen minutes even with the help of my dear hubby. I am finding Thursday to Thursday menu planning to be a perfect fit with our schedules. Now that we are a family of two, and not always home, it works out to buy "just enough" for a week. A frozen spinach pizza (Dr.Oeteker) was on the menu plan for supper last night, so after slugging through the stores, kitchen duties were light!

My job today, is to prepare all of the veggies for my new recipe, the 'frig medley'. This brilliant idea was gleaned from my old friend who makes a huge vat of chopped 'ready to go' veggies in her frig at all times. The vegetables are prepared on grocery day and put into a large bowl for use during the week, as is, in a salad, or cooked as a side dish. This saves so much time and bother when you are cooking throughout the week. She told me that she will put the veggies into a salad, or simply eat them on their own for a quick meal. The mix can change according to the seasons, and the freshest produce. She tossed a bit of the mix into some lettuce for our supper,and it was very flavourful.

Since the medley was such a success? I also made up a Greek salad mix with some Greek seasoning, feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, black olives and red onion (with the help of my Nicer Dicer) which made great lunches a couple of days last week, wrapped in tortillas. A pita would be even better, because you could stuff more into it! Not a drop of oil or vinegar, which you could just add at the last minute. It stayed fresh for as long as it took to use it up!

This weeks menus include:

Thursday 19:
fried eggs, toast, bacon & milk
Hummus and Avocado Veggie Wrap
Spinach Pizza & salad, veggies and dip

Friday 20:
poached eggs on toast, milk
Cream Cheese and Cucumber Sandwich
Whole Roast chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Peas & Carrots fruit

Saturday 21
eggs, toast & milk
Baked Potatoes
Chicken Parmigiana & spinach Feta pasta, Caesar salad Salty snack

Sunday 22
eggs & toast, milk
Salad with leftover Chicken
Curry & Rice fruit

Monday 23
cereal and milk, one egg 1/2 toast, fruit
Veggies and dip
Boiled cabbage, Bangers & Mash Fruit

Tuesday 24
dry cereal & milk
egg salad sandwiches
Hot Chicken Sandwiches French Fries & Peas

Wednesday 25
eggs & toast / fruit
open (clean up all leftovers before holiday)
Fish & Chips and apple coleslaw

I wish there was a way to post the formatted document here, because this is quite pretty when printed out in seasonal colours! Just a tad OCD, I admit. Since I am blue with cold this year, the logical choice was blue for the menu background colour! Spring will be light green, summer will be pink, and fall? Hmmm...perhaps golden yellow? At any rate, it is a stellar idea to have the menu on the frig at all times to keep me on the straight and narrow. I have planned the calories and balance for the day well ahead of time, and fruits and vegetables are always available for a snack.

No comments: