Saturday, July 3, 2010

Half frozen, half fresh....

Well, I am finally starting to feel better. Yesterday, I managed to get out of the door, and into the stores. Long enough to buy food for the week, at least! It was hot and muggy, and I totally enjoyed the time out, but it was exhausting. The weather made me think of tropical holidays soon to come.

I am changing tactics, as there is too much food lingering in our freezers. Frozen fish is good, but meat seems to really lose something in freezing, so I bought our meat for the week and will use it while still fresh. I bought steaks, pork chops and turkey breast, so there will be no excuse for not making supper this week! Our shopping bill is completely out of hand. For two people to spend over 200 dollars for groceries for a week is unacceptable...especially when said old people don't even bother to eat the food they buy! I just have the mentality that there must be variety in the house at all times. Well, that notion is going to fall by the wayside PDQ! Nothing beats a bit of planning. A little self control would be nice too, but when I see those super sized clam shells of cherries, something just happens to my purse strings!

I do not find it beneficial to plan before I buy, since what I plan to make for the week, will likely not be on sale. So, today? I bought three fresh meats that looked fresh and tasty, and will rely on what is in the freezer and pantry for the rest of the nights. Until we "eat down" the freezers, I think this will be the best plan to follow. We are still munching away on the cabbage rolls, but I think today will be the last day for them. They just get better every day!


Weekly Menu Plan:

Saturday: pork chops, mashed potatoes, creamed corn and fresh chopped vegetable salad


Although I marinated the pork chops, by suppertime, I was just too hot to bother. We had leftover cabbage rolls instead. So, already my menu plan is fratzed! Everything will be pushed forward a day!



Sunday: pan seared turkey breast, mashed potatoes & gravy, peas and carrots, side salad made from baby cucumbers, onion & tomato with feta cheese

Monday: baked cod in parchment paper with onions and thinly sliced potatoes, broiled peppers, mushrooms, onions

Tuesday: T-bone steak, fancy baby carrots - when I am in a meat eating frame of mind, I do best to keep the meal simple!

Wednesday: pan cooked fish with higgelty piggelty sauce, steamed potatoes, peas

Thursday: pasta, mood to determine sauce! Could be cheese, could be tuna, could be marinara

Friday: deli chicken and salad, as it will be grocery day again, and a very simple take home supper make life easy!

Now this is the plan. Time will tell if it will come to be

No comments: