Friday, October 8, 2010

Master Plan

I read an article the other day, that stated that we eat the same foods day to day, rarely changing our pattern. Well. Do I? Am I not a culinary genius coming up with new and inventive ways to cook the old food? Not really, as it turns out. I do follow a bit of a road map. There are foods that I can not live without, and eat daily. Wanna know what they are? Well, you have to. This is my blog after all...you are a captive audience!

If I had list the things I absolutely need every day, it would go like this:

1 glass of skim milk
2 eggs
butter
1 tomato
Dill pickles or olives, or anti pasta - something with lots of vinegar!The better part of a jar of Vlasic Zesty makes a great supper...and portable, too! LOL If push comes to shove and you need protein? Eat slices of black forest ham alongside. But gotta have my pickles.

Then? The necessary optional choices between the following, to make up the day:

At least 1 2-3 ounce serving of meat or cheese, fish or chicken (which to me is meat)I don't like a lot of meat, but apparently I need the stuff. My face gets tired of accepting it for processing, a trait that my husband has come to know and love, since he usually gets half of my portion. I love fish, shellfish, anything that can live under water!

Salt. On nuts, potato chips or popcorn. I keep it to a 100 - 200 calories or so unless using for a meal replacement. Trust me. Since I don't use processed food as a rule, there is room for this little pleasure - and the resulting bloat!

Vegetables. Love them all. Sometimes yams, potatoes or corn - the odd time rice. Green things - leafy or firm. Hot or cold. If they are cold? Vinegar and oil, or lemon juice. If they are hot? Gotta have a tiny bit of butter or Parmesan cheese...or both!

Fruit. Because of the sugar content, I am limited as to how much I can have. I try to balance it out with the veggies I eat, but usually, I have at least one fruit a day. Favourites are the old standbys...oranges, apples. Once in awhile grapes. Berries of all sorts are usually in the house, fresh or frozen.

BEANS. I love beans and legumes. Baked beans, bean soup, pea soup. Lentil soup,kidney beans, green beans, yellow beans, cannelloni beans. Love them all!

Once in awhile, I dip into the GF bread category, but usually, I forget I have the stuff. Yesterday, I had a liver sausage and olive sandwich on GF Ciabatta bread for supper. MMMMM good! BUT it was the first in a long, long time. We are talking over a year here, I think. I remember that I made one once out of inferior gf bread, and couldn't even finish it. The bread was that disgusting. I usually end up picking the filling off the bread and eating it like a two year old. The benefits of getting old!

This new bread I am buying is terrific so this time? I ate it all up! An acquired taste, for sure, this liver sausage and olive, but I LOVE it!


As for desserts? On occasion I will break out the Kitchen Aid and whip up a cake if we know you are coming, but to make my heart race? Get out a big bowl of sugar free jello and serve it with a dab of whipped cream on top! Now THAT is good eatin' folks! A gf cookie once in a blue moon, or a gf donut, but frankly? I have had the same treats on the go for a couple of months now. One is enough, and two only if I am really in a sweet mood! A tablespoon of ice cream is okay now and again as well. But there again? It usually goes furry before we can consume a small container. Once it has been sitting in the freezer, it loses all appeal for me, so I have to wait until it is really chrystally before I toss it out and start again with a fresh container!

And that is what is usually on my plate.

No comments: