Sunday, October 14, 2012

Gluten Free Croutons

This is so easy, it hardly even qualifies as a recipe, but for so little effort the gain is amazing!  Usually, I content myself with a piece of toast, cut into squares and sprinkled with garlic powder. For some reason, I decided to try a little harder yesterday, and my, I am so glad I did! The texture is wonderful.
Set the oven to 285º. 

Cut the crusts from four slices of gluten free bread (I used the white  Kinnikinick in the yellow wrapper) and butter lightly. I (being calorie conscious, I only buttered one side, and used about two teaspoons for the four slices of bread. If calories are not an issue, decadently butter both sides!)

Sprinkle with onion and garlic powder, cut into small squares and toss onto a small brownie pan. 

Place in the preheated oven for half an hour, tossing once or twice. Turn off the oven, and forget to take them out for about 18 hours! 
 
These turned out so crispy and light, that I had trouble not eating them all at once!  The amount I ended up with, filled a small Tupperware modular mate, and I am sure they will last for a week.  What a treat! These are so much better than those tooth breaking versions we are sold at an astronomical price, and are silly enough to buy them because we are desperate for something crunchy with our daily greens.  While I was taking this picture I couldn't resist nibbling on that nice golden brown crouton, and the flavour remains....!


No comments: